Saturday, June 09, 2007

Stu-Stu-stutter

I used to stutter. A fair bit. Well, alot and mainly in large groups.

I am sharing this for two reasons:

1. My niece has started to do it and

2. To show that even without any help, you can cease doing it.

I say 'cease' because I dont know how, why or when I stopped. It was kind of like one day, I just ran out of petrol, but instead of petrol, I ran out of stutter.

I certainly didnt stop from lack of trying. I tried for as long as I was afflicted and it never did change a damn thing. People used to try and help though, half heartedly. But what can you do really? Tell someone to take a deep breath? To 'sound' out the words? To not be nervous? To just not do it? I dont think so. And to the people who used to say those things to me? You think that I haven't already tried that?

Oh how I dreaded high school speeches. And the thing was, I would write a great speech, on paper it would get top marks, but after the 'presentation' the marks would dwindle. My friends were great though, they never made a big deal out of it, mainly because it rarely happended around them. It was more of a nervous, audience issue.

One thing I do remember and love though was one day I had a speech to give. It was year 9 English. The teacher would go through the class randomly and pick a name. This was pure hell. I could deal with alphabet order, my last name starts with a 'W' so i could relax for a while, but NO, not with random! But you know what, after working myself into such a state, the teacher never did call me up. I know he didnt forget, I think he was being nice. He knew I had done the work, he knew I understood the content (maybe better than others) but still, my name never did get called.

So when my niece stutters, I will never say anything 'helpful.' Instead I will read with her and never point it out, because she can't help it just like I couldn't.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

What a sweet story! Your such a good auntie.

All we "adults" can do is help kids not to feel the same horrible feelings we felt because of our own problems! I'm sure she'll love you so much for it when she grows up.

TTQ said...

i have a lisp..i taught myself to avoid saying certain words..